Medical and Dental Coverage for Students
The Embassy of the United Arab Emirates-Cultural Division will cover all necessary and emergency medical and dental expenses incurred in the United States and Canada.
You will receive a medical card from your advisor prior to leaving the Embassy or shortly after your arrival at your school. This card is extremely important to you should you require any medical procedures. You will notice there is an expiration date on the back of the card. This means you are covered for medical and dental treatment up to that date as long as your scholarship is active.
Should you require any medical or dental treatment, the first step is choosing a physician. One way to choose a physician is by asking your roommate or classmates if they have a doctor. Another way may be to call the college infirmary or ask the school nurse. The International Student Office at your institution can also help you find a doctor. The Yellow Pages of the phone book is also a source of information.
After choosing your physician, the first thing you will be asked at the doctor’s office is, “Do you have Insurance?” You should respond yes, stating your medical costs are included in your scholarship and are paid by the Embassy. Present your medical card to your doctor/dentist prior to any treatment. Upon receiving this card, your doctor/dentist should contact this office to request authorization and our financial guarantee of payment prior to providing any treatment. The Embassy will pay for the services rendered by the doctor. We will also pay up to $150.00 for new eye glasses, once during the period of your scholarship, and up to $100.00 each year for corrective (contact) lenses upon a written prescription from a physician.
Medical Services Covered
- Emergency room services and outpatient charges
- Emergency hospitalization in standard ward accommodation (including meals)
- Non-emergency hospitalization in standard ward accommodation (including meals)
- Semiprivate or private accommodation, when medically necessary and certified in writing by the attending doctor
- Use of the operating and delivery rooms (including anesthetic and surgical supplies), radiotherapy facilities and respiratory equipment
- Elective surgical procedures (doctor or surgeon must submit a treatment plan preferably a few weeks in advance, so the Embassy may determine what expenses are covered).
- Doctors’ and specialists’ services at home, in a hospital or institution, or in the doctors’ office
- Health examinations
- Diagnosis and treatment of illness and injury
- Surgery, including the administration of anesthetics
- Care related to pregnancy (prenatal and postnatal)
- Diagnostic laboratory and X-ray services authorized by a doctor and performed in an approved laboratory.
- Ambulance services to the nearest available hospital
- Vision care examination by a licensed medical doctor, ophthalmologist, or optometrist
- Prescription drugs dispensed during a hospital confinement.
- Medically necessary dental care performed by dentist or dental surgeon, with prior approval of the Embassy of the United Arab Emirates – Cultural Division
- Medical evacuation back to the UAE or repatriation for medical reasons
Items Not Covered
- Orthodontic dental treatment, except as a result of an accident.
- Cosmetic or plastic surgery, except as a result of an accident.
- Elective surgery which can be postponed until the student returns to his or her country.
- Dressing, drugs and medicines that are obtained without a written prescription of a physician.
- Medical or dental expense for dependents over the age of 18 years.
- Charges for physiotherapy, unless recommended by a physician.
Following is a list of the most frequently requested reimbursements and the documentation that is required to process your request.
- Medical RX/Prescriptions – Original Customer receipts issued directly from the Pharmacy.
- Eyeglasses/Exams – Original invoice is required from doctors office or agency performing the service. Proof of payment is also required.
Note: Maximum reimbursement for eyeglasses is $150.00 and for Contact Lenses $100.00
- Medical/Tuition/Miscellaneous Fees (Canadian) – All reimbursements requested from Canada required original invoices from the agency providing the service. If paid by credit card, a copy of the credit card receipt or bank statement is also required.
For any questions or explanations, please call this office at +1 (877) 862-7223 ext. 4411.
With our best wishes for a successful and healthy life.